In 1858, Hermann Buchler, a very astute entrepreneur, established a quinine chemical factory in Braunschweig, Germany, which is now owned in the 5th generation by the Buchler family. Buchler’s product portfolio later expanded to include other alkaloids such as cocaine, codeine and yohimbine, which were subsequently discontinued in the 1960s. In 1898/1899, Professor Friedrich Giesel, the chief chemist of Buchler, developed the world’s first industrial radium extraction process and in 1901, it was the first company in the world to offer industrially manufactured radium products.
In 1963, the first Cinchona plantation in Central Africa was acquired After over 150 years in the industry, Buchler remains Europe’s sole manufacturer of Cinchona alkaloids. Strong and long-standing relationships with our partners and loyal customers is the key to our success and the essence of our business.